Hello, everyone. It’s been a while since my last blog post. Since I last posted, I have turned 50, which is good, I guess. Not sure many people are happy about turning fifty except those that never had that chance. For that reason, I am happy to have reached the 50 mark.
I have five classes left to finish off before I can finish my college degree that I started almost 30 years ago. These last five will not be easy. Being impatient like I am, I chose to cram those last five classes into two summer sessions that will conclude in August. I keep my fingers crossed for continued scholastic success.
As I have gotten older, I still strive for first, but really, really long for lasts. I have reminisced about old times more and more. I often have told my wife how nice it would be if you knew at the time that you would be doing something for the last time. When I think of those types of things, my mind wanders.
Here are just some of the lasts I miss:
- The last time I went fishing with my grandpa, who has been gone 18 years already
- The last time I went fishing with my Dad, who now lives far away
- The last time I weighed under 200 pounds
- The last time to hear any new music from Michael Jackson, Queen, Nirvana, the Beatles, or Prince
- The last time I strapped on a football helmet
- The last time I rode a school bus to school
- The last time I had hair to feather
- The last time riding home in a victorious team bus from an away football game
- The last time my Mom took me to the orthodontist, accompanied by lunch soon afterward
- The last time I read my daughter a bedtime story
- The last time I petted any of the numerous dogs in my life
- The last day of being a teenager
- The last day before becoming an adult
- The last time sitting around a dinner table with my Mom, Dad, and siblings
This list could go on and on. Funny. The other day, I stumbled upon a song by Brad Paisley entitled, “Last Time for Everything”. I must say I am not a huge fan of the video, but love the song. Take a listen and let me know what you think.